Main Links

Monday, May 5

Arizona Restaurant Week: Roaring Fork

I'm not in love with Arizona. It wasn't my decision to live here and having spent the majority of my life here, (13/23 years) I'm itching to move out. That being said, the longer I stay here, the more fall in love with the state. So, I've decided to focus on all the awesome things there are in my state. No worries though, I'll still complain about the weather plenty. I already post a lot of restaurant reviews, so this won't be any huge difference on the blog... just a bit more Phoenix focused. 

Like a lot of places, Arizona has a Restaurant Week where a ton of popular restaurants band together to offer deals on their dishes. Every time, I'm determined to try one restaurant that's usually out of my price range. This time around, it was the Roaring Fork. The Roaring Fork is in a business area just north of the Scottsdale Mall, a place I frequent. Despite the proximity, I've never seen it. We went on a Friday night and it had a lovely atmosphere. The diners were a mix of casually dressed, to just got off work, to heading out on the town. The restaurant week deal is one starter, one entree, and one dessert... So let's head into it! 

I started with a raspberry margarita. It wasn't on the menu, but look at it! I don't regret it at all. Tart, sweet and cold is always a good combination.

For starters, both my boyfriend and I got the pork belly sandwich. I have pork belly all the time as a Chinese dish, but I'm not as familiar with it in American dish form. Once I bit into it, I realized that my little piggy wasn't misrepresented as the pork was perfectly made. 



He ordered wood fired steak with mashed potatoes. The steak was done well, but nothing life changing. However, the mashed potatoes here were made with sweet potatoes and I couldn't get enough of their sugary goodness!



Then, I got  the redfish. I got fish because I didn't want to overstuff myself... but the portions here are quite generous! I don't usually love fish cooked in an American style, but I loved this. I think, at the end of the day, it was cooked well... but even before that, it's just GOOD fish. It was accompanied with a whole grain pilaf and chipotle buerre blanc... that makes for SPICY fish!



Lastly, we finished with dessert. Here we see some creme brulee topped with fruit (very good) and below, a more untraditional fare.



Please see, churro, mexican drinking chocolate and horchata anglaise. This was amazing! The churros were light and fluffy, the drinking chocolate was great and I ended up dunking my churros in that little teacup as well. All I wished was that I had more churros to dip!

Overall, the restaurant was amazing. It wasn't an every day casual place, but not so expensive that we'd have to save it for special occasions either. The next Arizona Restaurant Week is May 17-26th! 

18 comments:

  1. Gosh, why I am always reading blogs when I am hungry? :D This post definitely made my tummy crunch a bit! The food looks really tasty and I am not surprised to read that it was tasty as well!
    Now excuse me, I'll go and make a sandwich for em! :D

    www.callmemaddie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love restaurant weeks too; they are a great way to try restaurants that you probably would not normally go to, and it makes you sound chic when you can through out names of fancy restaurants you've been to (who needs to know it was all at a discounted price)! I've never had pork belly before, but that sandwich looks delicious, and the deserts look absolutely scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm it looks all so delicious!

    XO Imke

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love restaurant weeks too! My hubs and I used to go ga-ga for them before we had kids ;). Anywho, the salad looked good, as well as the churros. Good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely delicious! I love pork and pork belly so that sandwich sounds amazing! And a pilaf with spicy fish sounds amazing! The churro looks great too, that's a treat I haven't had in a while! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm drooling over here! Everything looked amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i actually never tried out restaurant week but my friends have they loved it. everything here looks delicious! and the portions are generous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, everything looks good! I'm hungry now and I wouldn't mind the raspberry margarita... hehe~

    http://ahleessa4realz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always wanted to go to the spa's out there. Do you have any that you would recommend? The food looked delicious. Glad you all enjoyed.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, I'm typically not a fan of American-style cooked fish because I feel like the flavour palate is too bland but this actually looks exciting (spicy is always good)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A frozen raspberry margarita would be perfect right now!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks like a great restaurant to dine in ^^
    MY-Emily

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! The margarita and churros and chocolate look delicious! I think you have a good attitude about enjoying where you live even if you didn't pick it.

    I know Texas is a bit far from where you live but there's the Round Top Texas antique show every year that sounds like fun to visit. Goodwill would probably be a better place to find a cool vintage dining room table though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg everything looks amazing!! did you say churros? i'll take 1 or 3.

    ReplyDelete
  15. are you in phoenix? my best friend is a stylist just moved there! you should meet :)

    xx.M
    www.bellesandrebelles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This made me so hungry! Everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the roaring fork! Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That churro does sound tasty! We have a Restaurant Week in Houston too, but it really lasts the whole month! Its great, but still expensive :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!