Main Links

Thursday, January 23

Seattle Vacation Recap Day One

I love vacations in three ways. First, I love planning out everything I'm going to do...I like to pick out all the sights, sounds, and tours to go on before I actually get there. I also love getting to know the area by watching many travel shows (and nowadays, looking through blogs!). Since I love food, I pretty much pick out ALL the restaurants I want to eat at beforehand. Then, I actually get to go on the trip and all of these gorgeous and delicious visions come to life. It's a few days of exploring, relaxing and such much "life-candy". Then, after the vacation, I can slowly go through all of my pictures, reliving each memory. And my blog provides an awesome venue to share this last step! So, look at these gorgeous pictures as I relive this wonderful trip. 

Seattle's somewhere I've always wanted to go. Some time in the last few years, I fell in love with its rainy weather, gorgeous views, and good food. I was pretty determined that I wanted to move there... despite never visiting. I vowed to change that this summer, but the trip fell through and I ended up going in the fall. The trip took place Friday through Monday, so let's start with Friday! I live right by a light rail that takes me to the airport, so Friday morning, I boarded that with little time to spare and headed to Seattle. Right after we got off the plane an rented a car, we headed to 13 Coins. I've heard of this place as a late night dining joint, but its location near the airport made it perfect for a quick breakfast. My boyfriend and I both got something with sausage in it... while the dishes were good, they weren't great. Stand outs were the coffee (but the coffee everywhere was great) and the buttery hash browns. 



From there, we drove about 30 minutes north and went on a tour of the Boeing facility. No pictures were allowing inside the manufacturing facility, but it was amazing to see how BIG everything was. Despite the size of these projects, the facility put them together so quickly. Seeing an awesome manufacturing process is not something I can eloquently describe in words, but I marveled at human ingenuity. 



From there, we got stuck in traffic and took a detour to Capital Hill. I don't think I got a real sense of this place but I went to an adorable shopping mall where I found Top Pot doughnuts. Ugh. Amazing. I think I want to be a doughnut connoisseur. 


Making our way downtown was no easy task. I was intimidated by the one way streets, the sloping roads and thoroughly distracted by the sound, the buildings and the boardwalk. I earned my name as a poor navigator in that half hour when we drove back and forth to find parking and then the hotel. 


We stayed at the Edgewater Hotel. Everyone knows it as the hotel were the Beatles stayed once, but I just thought it was lovely to be by the Sound. In hindsight, this was the one expense that I wish I did not spend so much on. Though the hotel was beautiful, we got a room with the view of the Space Needle rather than the Sound. 

We had dinner in the hotel restaurant... which resulted in the MOST delicious lobster mac and cheese I've never had. The dish was a side but I couldn't even finish the bowl. I picked out all the lobster. My boyfriend had cedar plank grilled salmon. I daresay that he really enjoyed the dish as day later, he raved to his family about how even the cherry tomatoes (a fruit he hates) was amazing. That was an incredibly dark restaurant though... so I've got no pictures to share there!

18 comments:

  1. Awesome post!
    Nice pictures!

    www.bstylevoyage.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that picture of you in the plane made me lol for real. Looks like it was a nice trip! I'm a terrible navigator, so you're in good company at least. I am totally dependent on my GPS and when that is confusing I am basically screwed. One way streets? I would probably die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love vacations too!! Seattle is actually on my list of places to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seattle wouldn't be my ideal place to go since I hate rain and cold but all the food they have up there that I've seen on travel shows makes it very enticing to visit. I have to agree, living vicariously through others travel post is a fun way to plan out a trip and pick places you might have never thought of going to before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how lovely! i've only been to seattle once but i didn't get enough time to look around. i want to though some day. i think it is such a neat city!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fun trip! I'm not a big fan of planning vacations, but it's nice to go on them. I know what you mean about one-way streets too. They can be annoying and inconvenient, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww my city! I'm glad you enjoyed Seattle (on day one). So cool to read about other's thoughts about my city. The food is the best! Despite the gloom and rain, I've been born and raised here so I'm used to it but I know it's not everyone's ideal place. Love Edgewater Hotel, their food is amazing. hehe.. can't wait to read more!

    xo - Sheila
    www.sheislovelyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seattle looks like such a foodie town, I so want to go. Maybe it'll go alongside my Portland trip(s) this year

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahh looks so amazing. I've never been there but would love to visit sometime. those donuts look amazing!
    -- jackie @ jade and oak

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice Pictures; I can tell you really had some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great sounding and looking day! omg the food! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, donuts! Hmmm....visiting Boeing isn't exactly a top tourist destination, is it? What made you decide to go there? I am going to Seattle in the summer, for work, so will need your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg are you from the west coast as well? :)

    I love seattle, I go there around 4-5 times a year for a bit of shopping and visiting friends as well!

    Grace
    www.ouihui.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving the pictures! one of the best thing about vacation to me is take so many pics beside the good foods of course! I enjoyed ready this travel post :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome to Seattle! The city is celebrating tonight. Thanks for sharing photos of our lovely city - I've been to all of these places, including 13 Coins. You should try Salty's (in West Seattle) if you get the chance. It's our favorite.
    Beauty Fashion Skin Care Blog -Girlie Blog Seattle | Casual Chic Style

    ReplyDelete
  16. 13 Coins is one of my favorites! They have super delicious spaghetti carbonara. :-) I'm glad to hear that you love Seattle so much despite our rainy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I think about Seattle the first thing that comes to my mind is Grey's Anatomy (haha just a random note!). Anyways, it looks such a beautiful city! And guuuurl, you have some delicious food in this post! It made me hungry haha. I hope you had an amazing time in Seattle! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!